In the summer of 2018, the Museum inaugurates a temporary exhibition in anticipation of the permanent project of the New Leonardo Galleries, displaying a rich selection of historical and spectacular Leonardo models, some of which have not been visible for some time. They are combined with frescoes by 16th century Lombard painters from the Pinacoteca di Brera and deposited in 1952 thanks to an agreement between Fernanda Wittgens, Director of the Pinacoteca in the second post-war period, and Guido Ucelli, founder of the Museum.
The exhibition will cross the various fields of interest and study of Leonardo such as engineering and technique, enhancing the historical collection with which the Museum opened in 1953. There are also models of military and civil architecture in plaster and terracotta, restored in the last years. Brera’s torn frescoes, including many by Bernardino Luini and his school, are set up on two large walls to evoke the racks of museum deposits, with the aim of creating a striking picture gallery. A celebration in which unusual juxtapositions of art and science, always in the identity of the Museum, walk in parade.
Claudio Giorgione (curatore Arte & Scienza)
Museo Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci
Museo Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci, via San Vittore 21, Milano
19 luglio 2018 – 13 ottobre 2019